Kanazawa Castle Park

Posted on 01/07/2015

Since we had seen a sign for “Kanazawa Castle Park” at an exit of Omi-cho market, we decided to walk down there. After we walked through the Kuro-mon Gate of Kanazawa Castle, there was a large open square. It was so pleasant on a beautiful, sunny day. Kanazawa castle was the residence of the Maeda family for over 290 years until 1583, when Lord Maeda Toshiie seized control. Kahoku-mon Gate, standing on top of Kahoku-zaka slope, is the front of Sanno-maru (third palace) and serves as the main gate to Kanazawa Castle. It is one of three major castle gates along with Ishikawa-mon Gate and Hashizume-mon Gate. The castle was almost completely gutted in the great fire of the Horeki era in 1759, but the gate was rebuilt in 1772. The new Kahoku-mon gate had served as the main gate until it was removed in 1882. Now, after 130 years, Kahoku-mon gate has been restored – construction took two and a half years from November 2007 to April 2010. The existing Ishikawa-mon Gate was rebuilt in 1788 and is listed as an important cultural property.

 

Kanazawa Castle Park

Opening hours: 7:00 - 18:00 from 1st March to 15th October, 8:00 - 17:00 from 16th October to 28th February 

Address: 1-1-1 Marunouchi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa

Post code: 920-0937

Admission: free admission to the castle grounds, 310 yen for Gojikken-nagaya and turrets

Closest bus stop: Kenrokuen-shita (兼六園下)

Website: www.pref.ishikawa.jp/siro-niwa/kanazawajou/e/index.html